Pearl Care

Pearls are an organic gem and they require specific care that will protect them so they last for a very long time. They can be harmed by contact with many chemicals found in household cleaners, perfumes, cosmetics and hair care products of all kinds.

  • Never use toothbrushes, scouring pads or any type of abrasive material to clean your Pearls. Never use any other commercial cleaning pad, even those that say ‘safe for non-stick’ or presented as “gentle”.
  • Never clean your pearls with anything containing bleach, vinegar or ammonia (including Windex, Vinegar will disintegrate your pearls). All will harm pearls. Avoid anything other than water and soap (not detergent).
  • Never expose your Pearls to dish or laundry detergents, powdered cleansers, or baking soda.
  • Never steam clean your Pearls.
  • Never use a jewelry cleaner advertised on TV or at the jewelers as a miracle cleaner.
  • Never store your pearls in any type of plastic bag. Plastic can emit a chemical that will cause the surface of the Pearl to deteriorate.
  • Never leave your pearls around a direct source of heat such as a fireplace mantle, on top of a television set, or stove.
  • Never store your Pearls in a very dry room or in a safe deposit box for long periods of time. Your Pearls need a little moisture like your skin so that they will not dry out!

Always remember that your Pearls should be the LAST THING YOU PUT ON when dressing and the FIRST THING YOU TAKE OFF when you get home.

  • Always store your Pearls in a soft cloth or pouch and protected from all rough & abrasive objects.
  • Always wipe your Pearls with a microfiber cloth or a soft cloth moistened with water.
  • If spills or drips get on your pearls (stuff happens…), give them a good soak in lukewarm water with gentle natural soap (not detergent). Rinse well and allow to dry wrapped in a cotton cloth, then wear them to return some oils from your skin to the pearls. Remember, water doesn’t hurt pearls, they grew up in it!
  • Remember to always remove your Pearls if you reapply hair spray, or perfume: both can damage your Pearls.
  • Always remove Pearls before exercising or otherwise getting sweaty. (It’s not the water or the salt, but the pH of sweat is not good for them
  • Be mindful of the type of fabrics you wear. Fabrics like Shetland wool can damage Pearls
  • Always remember that you are wearing a gift from the water and the better you take care of them the longer they will maintain their warm glowing luster.

And last but certainly not least: WEAR YOUR PEARLS. They don’t like just being looked at and stored away and they will improve in luster and glow when worn often!